Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Daily Routine

Before we head into Wehea forest tomorrow for a week, I thought it would be helpful to describe my general routine a little more. So, for something different, here is an overview of my day yesterday:

I awoke at about 5:45 when the light was creeping through my bedroom window. Because power on weekday mornings lasts until 7am (generator-power), I like to check emails and internet, as slow as it is by flash drive, right away. Because internet is slow, just to check an email or two can drag out for half an hour or more, if I am lucky enough to gain a connection.

At about 6:15 I was off for a run, and chose to take a route on which I had checked once before but went only about 3km or so before returning. So, I went a little farther this time. The route took me through Nehas village for a couple of km and onto a main highway for three km or so then onto some back roads containing a few steep-ish hills, which was nice since it is generally very flat in the region immediately surrounding the village of Nehas Liah Bing. Running through a village I’ve not yet visited, Wahau Baru, and enjoying the excitement of a new discovery, I came to a clay/gravel road that went up quite a steep hill (10% approx) for a couple hundred metres to a overhead gateway structure. Going through it I popped out back on the main road at a high point in the geography, overlooking palm trees as far as the eye could see, among other patches of various vegetation. Quite a sight, since one gets so used to the flat vantage points around here.

Cruising back to the village down the main road, total run was 56 minutes.

After returning home, I hopped in for a shower which occurs by pouring buckets of water over oneself, had a cup of Kopi with the Kepala Adat (my host “father”), though we exchanged few words, then travelled the 150m or so to the TNC (Nature Conservancy) for breaky, consisting of rice and some bean type things. I purchased my own eggs the other day, 12 for about $1.80, just to ensure I am getting sufficient protein. Generally we eat well, but sometimes protein is lacking and pork rinds with slivers of meat generally don't cut it, though I will eat them if there is enough meat to make it worth the effort required to separate the meat from the fat. I also tend to avoid the bony fishy things with the eyes and guts, but that’s just a matter of personal preference!

I’ve been working on a carving, which is now essentially finished, having been introduced to a local carving group through Jamre, son of my homestay hosts. A good chunk of time was spent on that today. The carving is not specifically course-related – just something fun to work on while here.

I’ve also been preparing a village map, which is course related, and so I worked on inking over my map with a pen (was still in pencil before that) for a while after lunch, and though the configuration is complete, there are still some points of reference I would like to note on the map. Andrew, who is working on a project related to the agricultural practices of the villagers, came by and we discussed my map for a short bit along with the Kepala Adat, who was home from work (he is a school principal, in addition to his role as the leader of the Adat customary law here).

Then I had a short nap, and then conducted one of my last interviews (this time in relation to the ethno course (anthropology)) regarding traditional Wehean harvesting songs, with Ratih translating. That took me to dinner, and after socializing, I’m back at home working up a blog post.

That’s a pretty good example of the daily routine here: run, carve, eat, do interviews, have classes to discuss readings and update results, write some, scratch mosquito bites on my feet, work on my map, go to eraus (celebrations, or parties of various kinds) for short periods (some attend them into the wee hours of the morning, which I have avoided doing myself), nap. Oh, I’ve also offered to type out a few songs/stories the Kapela has handwritten in a book. A similar book was lost in a fire in 2010, so it will be good for the community to have the songs/stories in electronic form. This also allows us to get them translated into English.

Generally I try to get to bed before 10, since the days begin so early.
Signing off for now!

1 comment:

  1. Yum, bony fishy things with the eyes and guts -- I've heard of that.

    ReplyDelete